Beijing | China Part II


The next stop on my trip to the Far East was Beijing.  I hadn't been there since I was really young so I spent most of the two days that we were there visiting historical sites.  One of the highlights of the trip was definitely the Peking duck that was waiting for us when arrived.  Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of it before it was all gobbled up!

The next morning I worked off all the food I had eaten the night before with a  hike up the Great Wall.  It was my second time visiting, but I can hardly remember the last time I went.  It was unlike anything that I expected and was a hundred times more difficult than anticipated.  The wall is unbelievably steep and the slabs are quite slippery so slow and steady it was!  Even though it was only around 30 degrees Fahrenheit, I managed to work up quite the sweat.

On the last day I visited the Forbidden City, where the emperors used to live.  I didn't really know what to expect.  The city is basically a succession of buildings enclosed with a wall.  It's crazy to think hold old some of these buildings are, and it really makes you realize how young America really is.  It took us three hours to walk all the way through, and that wasn't even included all of the buildings on the sides.

Beijing is a great city to visit because of all of the history.  You can really get a sense of what life was like centuries and centuries ago!
How cute are these dumplings filled with sweet cream??


This is probably my favorite picture from the whole trip.  I love how far you can see from the Great Wall as opposed to the pollution-ridden city.

This picture doesn't do the steepness justice...

Outside the Forbidden City

The first building you see when you enter the gates.




0 comments:

Post a Comment